• Cooking time 60 minutes
• Serves 8-10
-For the cake
1 1/4 cup of flour
3/4 cup butter
1 egg yolk (to paint the doug edges)
1 teaspoon of salt
-Zucchini Ricotta filling
4-5 Zucchinis mid size (can use Kale, Spinash or other green)
1/2 chopped onion
1 spoon of olive oil
1/2 cup of basil pesto or fresh herbs sauce
Minced garlic to taste
2 cups of ricotta cheese
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
2. Mix the dough ingredients together until get a firm consistency: flour , melted/soft butter, egg, and salt.
3. Put the dough together , cover with a plastic film and put in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to rest.
4. On a hot pan with olive oil, sauté the chopped onions with chopped zucchinis and garlic. Let it cook and reduce for 15-20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Mix the ricotta cheese with pesto sauce or any fresh herbs or spice (thyme , basil , nutmeg , lime zest or other), add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Take the dough out of the refri and spread it on the round baking pan. Use water if required to moisture the dough.
6. Fill the dough with the zucchini mix, put on top the ricotta cheese and sprinkle on top shredded mozzarella cheese.
7. Use some egg yolk to paint the dough edges to get golden brown color.
7. Bake in the oven for for 40 minutes at 350F (cover with aluminum foil if required to avoid burn the cheese on top). Tip use semolina on the bottom of the baking pan to avoid it to stick.
9. When cake is done, allow to cool.
Recipe courtesy Chef Daniela Carla