• Cooking time 60 minutes
• Servings 3-4
2 skinless chicken breasts (6oz, 175g)
1/2 medium red onion, peeled, halved and separated into 8 layers
1/2 large green pepper, deseeded and cut into 8
3 large mushroom sliced
1/4 pineapple cut into triangles
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
fresh ground black pepper
- for the marinade
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon peeled grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
1 medium green chili, seeded
1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1 lemon (juice)
1 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon saffron (for color) or achiote or red powder color.
salt & fresh ground pepper
- for the yogurt sauce:
1 cup plain yogurt
1 chopped shallot
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped scallions
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 lemon juice
1. To make the marinade. 2. Crush garlic with 1/2 teaspoon of salt until it becomes a puree. Add the grated ginger. Chop the chili and fresh herbs add ginger, garlic, cumin and black pepper. Mix all with the lemon and orange juice and add saffron.
3. Now cut each breast into five pieces, then add to marinade and mix. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
4. 30 minutes before cooking soak the wooden skewers for 30 minutes in hot water.
5. Preheat the grill to its highest setting for 10 minutes.
6. Dry the skewers and thread a piece of chicken, a piece of onion and a piece of pepper and pineapple. carry on alternating the chicken, onion, pineapple and pepper until you have threaded five pieces of chicken on each skewer.
7. Season with salt and pepper and brush the vegetables with a tiny amount of oil.
8. Lay the brochettes on the grill rack about 4 inches from the heat source. Brush liberally with remaining marinade and grill them for 10 minutes, before turning them over and grilling for a another 10 minutes. Brushing with more marinade as they cook and watching them carefully so they do not burn.
9. For the yogurt sauce. Mix the ingredients with the yogurt , fresh chopped parsley, shallots and scallions (also can use mint or cucumber), lemon, paprika and adjust with sugar and salt.
10. Serve the hot brochettes with the fresh yogurt sauce. I like them with flat bread or indian naan. Enjoy!