•Cooking time 35 min
• Serves: 10
-For the caramel:
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup water
-For the Custard:
3 cups whole milk
1 cup cream
1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
1 pinch salt
4 large eggs
6 large egg yolks
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325°F .
2. Place 10 ramekins in two baking pans lined.
3. Bring a large pot of water to boil; keep hot until ready to use.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 3/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup water over medium heat; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
6. Swirl pan occasionally.
7. Wash down sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water to prevent crystals from forming.
8. Increase heat to medium-high; continue cooking until caramel is amber, about 8 minutes, gently swirling pan to color evenly.
9. Working quickly, pour about 1 tablespoon into each ramekin; or pour all into cake pan and swirl to coat bottom evenly; set aside.
10. In a small saucepan heat milk , cream, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat just until bubbles form around edges and milk starts to steam, 5 to 6 minutes turn off heat, and let it rest until warm.
11. In a large bowl, whisk together yolks, eggs, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until combined.
12. Slowly add warm (not hot) milk whisking constantly.
13. Pour mixture through a fine sieve into clean bowl; skim off surface foam with a spoon.
14. Stir in Vanilla extract, and pour custard into ramekins or cake pan.
15. Carefully pour the hot water into baking pan until it reaches halfway up the side of ramekin or cake pan.
16. Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the center is settle.
17. Remove from the oven. Cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator to chill, at least 6 hours or overnight.
18. Enjoy with dulce de leche, whipped cream or ice cream.