• Cooking & Preparation time 45 min
• Servings 6-8
1/4 Lbs butter
2 cups all purposes flour
4 cups whole milk
3/4 cup of jam or chicken or boiled spinach or sun dried tomatoes (your choice)
1 pinch nut meg
2 eggs beaten
1 cup of panco or breadcrumbs
2 cups of extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter on medium heat. Stir in gradually 11/2 cup of the flour and stir constantly. Cook the roux for 5 minutes until the flour is cooked. Add the milk slowly on stages, stirring constantly until you have a thick sauce.
2. Add to the sauce the ham or spinash (or other protein/veggie), add salt to taste and the nutmeg. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and cool, should be thick. Spread the mix on a baking sheet and cool. You can keep the mix dough for 3-4 days in the cooler.
3. Roll the croquettes with your hands (golf size ball). Roll in the remaining flour, then in the eggs and then in the panco (or breadcrumbs)
4. Heat the olive oil to 375 F. Add the croquettes in small batches. Fry until golden brown (about 1 min). Adjust with salt if required.
6. Serve with garlic aioli. Ole!!